Reading Unit 2: Cultural diversity Đa dạng văn hóa
Bài viết hướng dẫn cách học và cách giải bài tập của phần reading về chủ đề đa dạng văn hóa, một chủ điểm thú vị trong chương trình tiếng Anh 12. Hãy cùng điểm qua các từ vựng, cấu trúc cần nhớ và tham khảo gợi ý giải bài tập dưới đây.
Bài reading Unit 2: Cultural diversity
I. Từ vựng
- cultural (adj): -thuộc) văn hóa
- precede [pri:'si:d] (v): đến trước, đi trước
- determine [di'tə:min] (v): quyết định, xác định
- sacrifice ['sækrifais] (v) hy sinh
- diversity [dai'və:siti] (n): tính đa dạng
- factor ['fæktə] (n): nhân tố
- traditional (adj): theo truyền thống
- marriage ['mæridʒ]: hôn nhân
- bride (n) [braid] : cô dâu
- groom [ grum]: chú rể
II. Cấu trúc cần lưu ý
- to confide in sb [kən'faid]: tin tưởng, giao phó
- oblige to do sth [ə'blaidʒ] -v) bắt buộc, cưỡng bách
- to be attracted to: bị thu hút
- to fall in love with: phải lòng ai
- to be supposed : được cho là
- On the other hand : mặt khác
III. Hướng dẫn giải bài tập
1. Before you read
Work in pairs. Discuss the question: Which of the following factors is the most important for a happy life? Why?
(Thảo luận về câu hỏi: Yếu tố nào là quan trọng nhất cho một cuộc sống hạnh phúc? Tại sao?)
- love: Tình yêu
- a nice house / flat: Một ngôi nhà/ căn hộ đẹp
- money: tiền bạc
- parents’approval: sự tán thành của bố mẹ
- a good job: Một công việc tốt
- good health: Một sức khỏe tốt
Gợi ý thảo luận:
- A: What is the most important factor for a happy like?
- B: In my opinion, having a good job is the most important factor.
- A: why is that?
- B: Because we spend most of our time for our job. If we do not have a good job, it's really hard for us to have a happy life. Sometimes money is not everything, we should find a job that suitable for us and bring back happiness and support. What about you?
- A: For me, having a good health is the most important factor because if we don't have a good health, we can not do anything in your life. And so on you can't have a happy life with bad health.
- B: yes, is so true.
2. While you read:
Đây là bài đọc của unit trong sách giáo khoa:
Traditionally, Americans and Asias have very different ideas about love and marriage. Americans believe in “ romantic “ – marrige -- a boy and girl are attracted to each other, fall in love , and decide to marry each other. Asians , on the other hand , believe in “ contractual “ marrige – the parents og the bride and groom decide on the marriage : and love – if it ever developes – is supposed to follow marriage, no precede it.
To help prove these ideas , a survey was conducted among American , Chinese and Indian students to determine their attitudes toward love and marriage . Followwing is a summary of each other group’s reponses to the four key values.
Physicak attractiveness : The Americans wewe much more concerned than the Indian and Chiese with pjysicak attractiveness when choosing a wife or hisband . They also agreed that a wife should maintain her beaty and appearance after marriage.
Confiding : Few Asian students agreed with American students; view that wives and husbands should share all thouths . In fact , a majorority of Indians and Chiese actually thought it was better and wiser for a couple not to diccuss certain matters or share certain thought . A particularly large number of Indian men agreed that it was inwise to confide in their wives .
Parnership of equals : The majority of Asian students reject the American view that marriage is a partnership of equals , demanding no more or no less from each other. A majority of the Indian students agreed that “ a woman has to sacrifice more in a marriage than a man “ .
Trust built on love : Significantly , more Asian students than American students agreed that “ a husband is obliged to tell his wife where he has been f he comes home lare “ . The Asian wife can demand a record of her hudband ;s activeties. The American wife , for example , trusts her husband to : do the right thing “ because “ he loves her “ not because “ he has to ‘ .
By any measurement of the four values of romanticsm : physical attractiveness before and after marriage , confiding , equal partnership and trust buil on love , yuong Asian are far from being as romantic as their Amaerican counterparts , even today.
Task 1: Explain the meaning of the italicized words / phrases in the following sentences. (Giải thich nghĩa của những từ/cụm từ in nghiêng ởnhững câu sau.)
- precede : happen or exist before
- determine : find out
- confide: tell someone about somethine very private or secret.
- sacrifice: willingly stop having something you want.
- obliged: having a duty to do something.
Task 2: Answer the following questions. (Trả lời các câu hỏi sau.)
- 1. What are the four keys value in the survey?
They arc “trust built on love, physical attractiveness, confiding and partnership of equals.”
- 2. Who are much more concerned with physical attractiveness when choosing a wife or a husband, the young Americans or the young Asian?
The Americans are much more concerned with it than the Indians and the Chinese when choosing a wife or a husband.
- 3.What are the Indian student's attitudes on a partnership of equals?
The Indian students agree lhal a woman has lo sacrifice more in a marriage than a man.
- 4. Why does the American's wife trust her husband to do the right thing?
The American wife trusts her husband to do the right thing because he loves her not because he has to.
- 5. What is the main finding of the survey?
The main finding of the survey is young Asians are not as romantic as their American counterparts.
3. After you read
Work in groups. Discuss the question: “What are the differences between a traditional, Vietnamese family and a modem Vietnamese family?”
(Là việc từng nhóm. Thảo luận câu hỏi:" Sự khác biệt giữa gia đình Việt Nam truyền thống và gia đình Việt Nam hiện đại?”)
Gợi ý câu trả lời:
There are many vast differences between traditional family and modern family in Vietnam. Firstly, there is a difference about the size. Traditional family often have a large size with three or four generations live in the same house. In contrast, modern family only have two generations including parents and children. Secondly, there is a reduction in number of children in each family. Traditional family tense to have more kids than morden family with one or two children. Thirdly, there is a change in role between traditional family and modern family. The father often has the responsibility to go to work, earn money and support for the whole family and the mother will take care of children and do the household chores. Role is different now in the modern family. Generally both parents will go to work and all members in the family will share housework together. Finally, the gender equality in modern family is more clearly than in traditional family. The wife will have more opportunites to develop her own career and social relationships.
Xem thêm bài viết khác
- Test yourself E Unit 13 : The 22nd Sea Games
- Speaking Unit 2: Cultural diversity Đa dạng văn hóa
- Speaking Unit 9 : Deserts
- Reading Unit 11 : Books
- Listening Unit 4: School education system Hệ thống giáo dục nhà trường
- Listening Unit 15 : Women in society
- Writing Unit 7: Economic Reforms
- Reading Unit 1: Home life Đời sống gia đình
- Reading Unit 13 : The 22nd Sea Games
- Reading Unit 6: Future jobs Công việc tương lai
- Listening Unit 14 : International Organizations
- Reading Unit 8: Life in the future