Reading Unit 5: Higher education Giáo dục đại học
Bài viết hướng dẫn cách học và cách giải bài tập của phần reading về chủ đề giáo dục đại học, một chủ điểm rất đáng quan tâm trong chương trình tiếng Anh 12. Hãy cùng điểm qua các từ vựng, cấu trúc cần nhớ và tham khảo gợi ý giải bài tập dưới đây.
Bài reading Unit 5: Higher education
I. Từ vựng
- campus ['kæmpəs] (n):khu sân bãi (của các trường trung học, đại học)
- challenge ['t∫ælindʒ] (v)(n): thách thức
- blame [bleim](v) : khiển trách
- to daunt[dɔ:nt](v )
- mate [meit]: bạn bè
- applicant ['æplikənt] (n): người nộp đơn
- roommate (n): bạn cùng phòng
II. Cấu trúc cần lưu ý
- to blame sb/sth for/on sth
- to fight back tears: gạt nước mắt
- all the time = always: luôn luôn, lúc nào cũng
- over and over: nhiều lần; lặp đi lặp lại
- to be in a place: đang ở một nơi
- the Advanced Engineering: khoa công trình nâng cao
- to make friends: kết bạn
- to get on very well with sb: hòa hợp với ai
III. Hướng dẫn giải bài tập
1. Before You Read
Work in pairs. Ask and answer the questions. (Làm việc từng đôi. Hỏi và trả lời câu hỏi.)
- 1. How do you say in English the names of these universities?
Hue University: Đại học Huế
Hanoi University of Architecture: Đại học kiến trúc Hà Nội
Hanoi University of Natural Science: Đại học khoa học tự nhiên Hà Nội
- 2.What university would you like to apply for and why?
I'd like to apply for Hue University because Hue is the only place where there are national historical remains left: such as royal palaces and lombs, etc.... Moreover, its Department of Court National Culture is the best of all, especially in folk music and dances. This is the most distinctive of our national culture wc should conserve and safeguard it.
2. While You Read
Đây là nội dung bài đọc của unit 5:
Three students talk about their first impressions of university life. Read the passage and then đo the tasks that follow.
(Ba sinh viên nói về cảm nghĩ đầu tiên của họ về đời sống ở đại học. Đọc đoạn văn và sau đó làm các bài tập kèm theo.)
On the first weekend I went out with my new friends, walking around campus. It was exciting, thinking how I was at college, meeting people who could become good friend of mine. The most exciting thing was that I didn’t have to explain to my parents where I was going, who with or what time I’d be home!
On Saturday night, I followed my roommate to a party. The people at the party were busy playing some game, and no one seemed to notice my exercise. I suddenly felt so lonely. Fighting back tears, I ran back to my room, thinking I would never feel at home at college.
My roommate left the window open all the time, even when it was 10 degrees Celsius out, and went to bed at 10 every night. When she got sick at after midterms, she blamed my typing and having a light on while she was trying to sleep.
At first, college was a little daunting. I graduated from a small school. After seeing the same people over and over for many years, it was amazing but a little scary, to be in a place where it seemed like I never saw the same person twice.
The first year at college was probably the best and most challenging year of my life. Academically, I enjoyed it thoroughly. Taking part in the Advanced Engineering project gave me a chance to use my creativity and knowledge to help society.
Socially, I made lots of new friends both through engineering and living at St John’s College on campus. The social calendar of the colleges provides plenty of opportunityes to meet non-engineering students as well as other engineers, many of whom have become my best mates.
Task 1: Complete the following sentences, using the right forms or the words in the box. (Hoàn chỉnh các câu sau. dùng dạng đúng của những từ trong khung.)
Campus blame scary challenge amazing
- 1. The new library was built in the centre of the…… campus ……..
- 2. They……blamed……….the rise in oil prices for the big increase in inflation.
- 3. That's the………scariest………story I've ever heard.
- 4. Intelligent boys like to study something if it really………challenges………them.
- 5. The new car goes at an……………amazing……….speed.
Task 2: Find out who: (Tìm ra ai.)
- a. attended a party on the first weekend at college. (tham dự một bữa tiệc trong tuần đầu tiên ở đại học)
- b. didn't get on very well with the roommate. (Không hòa hợp với bạn cùng phòng)
- c. was not used to meeting different people every day at college. (Không quen với việc gặp nhiều người hàng ngày ở đại học)
- d. liked having a chance to be creative.(Thích có cơ hội để sáng tạo)
- e. was very excited about going to college. (đã rất háo hức về việc học đại học)
- f. enjoyed the first year at college. (thích năm học đầu tiên ở đại học)
Sarah: (1)_______a_________ (2)______e_____
Ellen: (3)________b_________ (4)______c______
Brenden: (5)_____d_________ (6)______f______
Task 3: Answer the following questions. (Trả lời các câu hỏi sau.)
- 1. What did Sarah do on the first weekend?
She went out with her new friends, walking around the campus.
- 2. Why did Sarah feel so lonely at the party?
Because she felt no one seemed lo nolice her
- 3. What problems did Ellen have with her roommate?
. Her roommate left the window open all the time, even in the cold weather, went to bed late and blamed her typine and having the fight on
- 4. What did Brenden think about his first year at college?
He thought it was probably the best and most challenging year of his life.
- 5. What does the social calendar of the colleges provide him?
It provides him with a lot of opportunities to meet non-engineering students as well as other engineers.
3. After you read:
Work in groups. Discuss the question. (Làm việc theo nhóm. Thảo luận câu hỏi.)
How important is tertiary study to you? (Việc học đại học quan trọng với bạn như thế nào?)
Gợi ý trả lời:
Going to college for me is like a key that open a new opportunity to reach a higher future. It’s true that starting from a higher position will help us to reach your dream more easily. Beside, giong to college is a new environment, maybe a whole new life with some people. They may be more independent to take care of themselves and become more mature, responsible and also they can learn more and more skills for future.
Tertiary study provides students with specific knowledge for their chosen career, and also an opportunity to attend to some internship to be educated and socialised in order to get a gook job in the future.