Listening Unit 5: Higher education Giáo dục đại học
Phần listening hướng dẫn cách làm bài nghe với chủ đề giáo dục đại học. Bài viết cung cấp các từ vựng, cấu trúc cần lưu ý cũng như gợi ý giải bài tập phần listening trong sách giáo khoa.
Before you listen: Listen and repeat.
While you listen: Hội thoại giữa John và David
I. Từ vựng
- proportion [prə'pɔ:∫n] (n0; phần, tỷ lệ
- rural ['ruərəl] (a): thuộc về nông thôn
- agriculture ['ægrikʌlt∫ə] (n): nông nghiệp
- MSc (Master of Science): thạc sĩ khoa học
- department [di'pɑ:tmənt](n): Bộ, ngành
- list [list] (n): danh sách
II. Cấu trúc cần lưu ý
- to get along: xoay sở
- to make full use of: sử dụng triệt để
- based on: dựa vào
- too + Adj + to + verb: quá…không thể
- as soon as possible: càng sớm càng tốt
- to move on: tiến lên
III. Hướng dẫn giải bài tập
1. Before you listen:
Work in pairs. Talk about the problems you may have when studying at a new school.
(Làm việc từng đôi. Nói về những khó khăn em gặp phải khi học ờ một ngôi trường mới.)
- A. Just imagine you’re studying at a new school. What problems may you get?
- B. Well. First, I feel lonely and homesick. I have no familiar people, cspccially living far from home.
- A. It’s a natural fact. What other problems can you eneounter?
- B. I think the matter of accommodation also makes me anxious. I have to find a proper lodging place if I can't live in ihc school dorm.
- A. And the next?
- B. I have to adjust to the new life and the new school activities. But I think with time I can manage to get over it.
- A. OK. With strong will and patience everything can be settled.
- B. It’s my opinion, too.
Listen and repeat:
- Proportion: Phần trăm
- Majority: Phần lớn
- Tutorial: bài hướng dẫn
- International: quốc tế
- Available: có sẵn
- Appointment: cuộc hẹn
- Agriculture: nông nghiệp
- Rural: nông thôn
- Thoroughly: một cách thấu đáo
2. While you listen:
Listen to the conversation between John and David and circle the best option (A or B, C, D) to complete the following sentences.
(Nghe cuộc đối thoại giữa John và David và khoanh câu chọn lựa đúng nhất để điền các câu sau.)
Tapescript: Nội dung bài nghe:
- John : Now Christ, can I get this right. You've just completed a MSc course on which a large proportion of the students were international students. Is that right?
- David: That's it. Yes, I was in AERD, that's the department of Agricultural Extension and Rural Development.
- John: And how do you think the students from other countries got along on that course?
- David: Pretty well.
- John : What advice would you give students, particularly international students, based on your experience as a student here?
- David : I think the most basic thing is to make use, full use, of the tutors and lecturers. Maybe some of the overseas students are a bit too shy to take questions or problems to tutors.
- John : What do you think they should do?
- David : I think they should find out at the beginning of the course the time at which the tutor is going to be available for tutorial appointments and then make full use of them.
- John: So, any problems, they should tell the tutor as soon as possible? Let's move on, what about the amount of reading that you have to do as a university student?
- David : Yes. It looks pretty dauntine al first, with those long reading lists. Don't think that the students have to read everything that’s listed. Try to find out which are the most important items on the list - ask the lecturer or tutor if necessary, and then, if your time is limited, spending it reading those books thoroughly.
- John: OK, that’s very helpful, David. Thank you very much.
- David : No, Not at all.
1. David used to be………………………………..
A. an international student
B. a tutor at the university
C. a student at the university (một sinh viên đại học)
D. a lecturer at the university
-> Chọn đáp án C
2. In his department,………………………………..
A. many students came from other countries (rất nhiều sinh viên đến từ nước khác)
B. some students came from other countries
C. the international students did not like the course
D. the international students did not study well
-> Chọn đáp án A
3. David thinks the most important thing for the international students is………………..
A. not to be shy to talk to other students
B. to make an appointment with local students
C. to make full use of the tutors and lecturers (Để sử dụng hoàn toàn các hướng dẫn của giảng viên)
D. not to tell anyone their problems
-> Chọn đáp án C
4. David advises the international students to……………at the beginning of the course.
A. find out when the tutor is available for tutorial appointments (tìm ra khi bài hướng dẫn có sẵn cho các cuộc hẹn gặp hướng dẫn)
B. make full use of their friends
C. share studying experiences with local students
D. know as much as they can about the university
-> Chọn đáp án A
5. In order to deal with the long reading lists David advises the international students to .
A. read all the items on the reading list
B. read the most important items on the reading list (Đọc những thứ quan trọng nhất trong danh sách đọc)
C. find out the most important reading list
D. ask local students for the most important reading list
-> Chọn đáp án B
3. After You Listen
Work in pairs. Ask and answer the question. (Làm việc từng đôi. Hỏi và trả lời câu hỏi)
“Would you prefer to do an undergraduate course abroad or in your country?" Explain your choice.
(Em thích học chương trình cử nhân ở ngoại quốc hay ở trong nước hơn?" Giải thích sự chọn lựa của em.)
Gợi ý hội thoại:
- A. Where do you like lo do your undergraduate course, abroad or in your country?
- B. If you ask me, I prefer to do it abroad.
- A. Why?
- B. In the present situation, most of the universities in the country are behind those in developed countries, such as the US, Australia, Singapore. Germany, etc,...
- A. Can you give me clearer explanations?
- B. OK. For example, the teaching aids in the schools: laboratories, equipment and specially libraries. Most of our laboratories are lack of modern equipment. Next, the size of classes, the number of students in each class is very large. I mean the classes are often very crowded. usually over 60 or more. Don’t you realize the noticeable problem in our universities?
- B. What’s that? Do you refer to the methods of teaching of most of professors and lecturers?
- A. That’s it. Most of them still use the old and obsolete way of teaching: “Professors read and students listen and write down.” Rarely can a student ask his / her professor a question. And this makes it worse, hardly ever can a class discussion be seen in most of our universities.
- B. What's wrong with it?
- A. Oh! How can such a one-way method help students to develop their creativity and even their independent work?
- B. Sorry. I didn’t know any about it!