Reading Unit 2: Personal experiences Trải nghiệm cá nhân
Bài viết hướng dẫn cách học và cách giải bài tập của phần reading về chủ đề những trải nghiệm cá nhân, một chủ điểm rất đáng quan tâm trong chương trình tiếng Anh 11. Hãy cùng điểm qua các từ vựng, cấu trúc cần nhớ và tham khảo gợi ý giải bài tập dưới đây.
Bài reading Unit 2: Personal experiences
I. Từ vựng
- affect (v) [ə'fekt]: ảnh hưởng
- appreciate (v) [ə'pri:∫ieit]: trân trọng
- complain (v) [kəm'plein]: phàn nàn
- wad (n) [wɔd]: nắm tiền
- embarrassing (a) [im'bærəsiη]: ngượng ngùng,lúng túng
II. Cấu trúc cần lưu ý
- break out (v) [breik]: xảy ra bất thình lình
- grow up (v) [grou]: lớn lên
III. Hướng dẫn giải bài tập:
1. Before you read:
Work in pairs. Look at the pictures below and guess what is happening in the each of them. (Làm việc theo cặp. Nhìn vào các hình dưới đây và đoán những gì đang xảy ra ở mỗi hình.)
- Picture a: A man is pointing at a bank-note, saying something.
- Picture b: A man is giving a girt some money to buy a hat.
- Picture c. A girl is holding a bank-note, thinking about something.
- Picture d: A girl is watchingT.V, on which a woman is wearing the hat she likes.
- Picture e: A girl is at the hatter’s buying a hat.
- Picture f: A girl is stealing something in boy's bag.
2. While you read:
Read the stop, and then do the tasks that follow. (Đọc câu chuyện và sau đó làm bài lập sau.)
Dưới đây là nội dung bài học trong sách giáo khoa:
MY MOST EMBARRASSING EXPERIENCE
My most embarrassing experience happened a few years aso. when I was a grade 9 student. In those days, my biggest dream was a red hat - a floppy cotton hat like the one my pop star idol wore in her video clip. I thought I would look great in it.
My father knew this, so on my birthday he gave me some money so that I could buy the hat for myself. I was extremely excited and decided to go to the shop at once. I got on the bus and sat down next to a schoolboy about my age. The boy glanced at me and turned away. There was a sneaky look on his face, but I didn't think much about it. I was busy imagining how I would look in the hat. After a while, I turned round and noticed that the boy’s schoolbag was open. Inside it, I saw a wad of dollar notes exactly like the ones my father had given me. I quickly looked into my own bag - the notes had gone! 1 was sure that the boy was a thief. He had stolen my money. I didn’t want to make a fuss, so I decided just to take my money back from the schoolboy’s bag, without saying a word about it. So I carefully put my hand into the boy’s bag, took the notes and put them in my own bag.
With the money I bought the pretty hat of my dreams. When I got home, I showed it to my father.
“How did you pay for it?” he asked.
“With the money you gave me for my birthday, of course. Dad,” I replied.
“Oh? What's that then?” he asked, as he pointed to a wad of dollar notes on the table.
Can you imagine how 1 felt then?
Task 1. The words/ phrases in the box all appear in the passage. Use them to fill in the blanks in the sentences (Tất cả các từ/ cụm từ trong khung xuẩl hiện ở đoạn văn. Dùng chúng đế âứn vào chỗ trong ờ các câu.)
making a fuss sneaky glanced embarrassing idols
- 1. The girl was so shy that she didn't look at him in the face. She just …… glanced……at him and looked away.
- 2. She complains noisily about anything she doesn’t like. She is the type of person who is always …… making a fuss….. .
- 3. She was in a very ……embarrassing……situation. She felt so stupid and didn’t know what to say.
- 4. Teenaeers nowadays often have their own…… idols …..who they really love and imitate in different ways.
- 5. I don't like the look of that man. There is something…… sneaky ……about him.
Task 2. Work in pairs. Put the pictures of the events (on page 22) in the order they happened in the story. (Làm việc theo cặp. Đặt những tranh cùa sự kiện (ở trang 22) theo đúng thứ tự chúng xuất hiện trong câu chuyện. )
Picture 1 - d Picture 2 - b Picture 3 - f
Picture4-e Picture 5 - a Picture 6-c
Task 3. Answer the questions. (Trả lời các câu hỏi.)
- 1. What did she wish to have when she was in trade 9?
A red floppy cotton hat.
- 2. Who gave her money on her birthday?
So that she could buy the hat for herself/ to buy the hat for herself.
- 3. Why did she decide to take the money from the boy's bag?
A wad of dollar notes exactly like the ones her father had given her before.
- 4. What did she do with the money?
Because she didn't like to make a fuss.
- 5. What did she discover when she came back home?
- She bought her hat with it.
3. After you read
Discussion the question: What do you think the girl had to do after she discovered that the money she had taken from the boy's bag was not hers?
(Làm việc theo nhóm. Thảo luận những câu hỏi. Em nghĩ cô gái phải làm gì sau khi cô khám phá ra tiền cô lấy ở cặp của cậu bé không phải là tiền của cò.)
- She might feel embarrassed because that was not her money
- Perhaps the girl could place a notice on a local newspaper to apologize the boy and contact him to give the money back.
- Perhaps the girl might want to tell her father the truth and ask him for help.
- Perhaps she could come to the police station, tell the police the truth and ask them for help.
- Maybe the girl could get on the same bus next day and look for the boy to return him the money
Xem thêm bài viết khác
- Test yourself C Unit 9 : The Post Office
- Reading Unit 1: Friendship Tình bạn
- Speaking Unit 2: Personal experiences Trải nghiệm cá nhân
- Reading Unit 8: Celebrations
- Speaking Unit 1: Friendship Tình bạn
- Speaking Unit 15 : Space Conquest
- Language focus Unit 10 : Nature in Danger
- Reading Unit 3: A party Bữa tiệc
- Writing Unit 2: Personal experiences Trải nghiệm cá nhân
- Writing Unit 6: Competitions Những cuộc thi đấu
- Listening Unit 16 : The Wonders of the World
- Language focus Unit 9 : The Post Office