Reading Unit 5: Illiteracy Nạn mù chữ
Bài viết hướng dẫn cách học và cách giải bài tập của phần reading về chủ đề nạn mù chữ, một chủ điểm rất đáng quan tâm trong chương trình tiếng Anh 11. Hãy cùng điểm qua các từ vựng, cấu trúc cần nhớ và tham khảo gợi ý giải bài tập dưới đây.
Bài reading Unit 5: Illiteracy
I. Từ vựng
- academic (a) [,ækə'demik]có tính học thuật
- campaign (n) [kæm'pein]chiến dịch
- promotion (n) [prə'mou∫n]khuyến khích
- rate (n) [reit]tỉ lệ
- performance (n) [pə'fɔ:məns]sự thể hiện, thành tích
II. Cấu trúc cần lưu ý:
- Fight against: chống lại
III. Hướng dẫn giải bài tập
1. Before you read
Work in pair. Describe the picture, using the cues below. (Làm việc theo cặp. Mô tả hình dáng, dùng từ gợi ý dưới đây.)
- 1. Where do you think the class is?
In mountainous areas.
In big cities.
- 2. What do you think of the people in the class?
They are at the same age.
They are young.
They are of different ages.
- 3. What do you think of the teacher?
He got a regular training in teaching.
He is a soldier.
He is the teacher at this school.
- 4. What is this class different from your class?
The children wear uniform.
The room is in the best condition.
The class is poor and simple.
2. While you read
Read the passage and then do the tasks that follow. (Đọc đoạn văn và sau đó làm bài tập theo mẫu.)
Dưới đây là nội dung bài đọc:
By July 2000, sixty –one provinces and cities throughout Vietnam had completed the programmes of “Universalization of Primary Education” and “Illiteracy Eradication”. However, by that time, only 94% of the population was able to read and write. This meant that more work had to be done to eradicate illiteracy in the country.
In the summer of 2000, the Vietnam Society of Learning Promotion started a campaign for illiteracy eradication. In the campaign, six hundred ethnic minority students from the northern highlands were asked to provide reading and writing skills to 1200 illiteracy people ling in their home villages. In 2001, eight hundred volunteer studnts took part in the campaign. The numer of people receiving reading and writing lessons reached 4623. This was an effective way to help people in remote and mountainous areas to read and write.
Those students who took part in the gight against illiteracy considered it an honorable job to help people in their home villages. They voluntarily spent their summer vacations teaching illiterate people to read and write. Some even prepared relevant materials for their classes. They talked about new farming techniques and family planning. Before they lefft, they promised to come back the next summer.
The fight against illteracy continued in the summer of 2002. This time the Vietnam Society of Learning Promotion decided to exand its activities to the central mountainous provinces. At present, the number of illterate people in the remote and muontainous areas is gradually decreasing. It hoped that illteracy will soon be eradicated in our country as more and more people are taking part in the struggle against it.
Task 1. Find the Vietnamese equivalent to the following expressions, (Tìm từ tương đương với tiếng Việt cho các từ ngữ dưới đây.)
- 1. Universalisation of Primary Education ( Phổ cập giáo dục tiêu học)
- 2. The Vietnam Society of Learning Promotion (Hội Khuyến học Việt Nam)
- 3. illiteracy eradication (xóa mù chữ)
- 4. Farming techniques (kĩ thuật canh tác)
- 5. Family planning (kế hoạch hóa gia đình)
Task 2. Which of the choices A, B, C or D most adequately sums up the whole passaae? (Lựa chon A, B, C hoặc D thích hợp nhất để tóm tắt cả đoạn?)
- A. The programme of “ Universalisation of Primary Education" in Vietnam.
- B. Illiteracy rates in Vietnam.
- C. Ethnic minority students’ education programme.
- D. The fight against illiteracy. (Cuộc chiến chống nạn mù chữ)
-> Chọn đáp án D
Task 3. Answer the questions. (Trả lời các câu hỏi)
- 1. What was the rate of literacy in Vietnam in 2000?
-> 94% of the population.
- 2. What campaign was started by the Vietnam Society of Learning Promotion?
-> The campaign for illiteracy eradication.
- 3. How many students participated in the campaign in 2000 and how many in 2001 ?
-> 600 students in 2000 and 800 sts in 2001
- 4. What did the students do to help eradicate illiteracy?
-> They willingly/voluntarily spent their vacations teaching ethnic minority illiterate people to read and write.
- 5. What will happen if more and more people take part in the struggle against illiteracy?
-> Illiteracy will soon be eradicated.
3. After you read
Work in groups: Ask and answer the questions. (Làm việc theo nhóm. Hỏi và trả lời các câu hỏi)
- 1. Are there any illiterate people in your neighborhood?
-> Yes, but not many. Most of them are the poor working people.
- 2. What do you think we should do to help them read and write?
-> I think we should explain the disadvantages of being illiterate to them. At the same time, we should provide the convenient condition for them to go to classes for illiteracy eradication.