Language focus Unit 3: People's background Tiểu sử của mọi người
Phần trọng tâm kiến thức của unit này nói về về cách phát âm /e/ và /ǽ/trong tiếng Anh, cũng như ôn tập về thì quá khứ hoàn thành và quá khứ đơn. Bài viết cung cấp các từ vựng và cấu trúc cần lưu ý cũng như hướng dẫn giải bài tập trong sách giáo khoa.
Language focus Unit 3
I. Từ vựng
- Career(n): [kə'riə]sự nghiệp
- Abroad(adv): [ə'brɔ:d] nước ngòai
- Appearance(n) [ə'piərəns]: vẻ bên ngòai
- Private tutor(n): ['praivit 'tju:tə] gia sư
- Interrupt(v) [,intə'rʌpt]: gián đọan
- Primary school: trường tiểu học(từ lớp 1-5)
- Realise(v) ['riəlaiz]: thực hiện
- Secondary school(n)Trường trung học(từ lớp6-12)
- Schoolwork(n): công việc ở trường
II. Cấu trúc cần lưu ý
- Âm / e /trong tiếng Anh là một nguyên âm ngắn trong tiếng Anh.
- Âm / ǽ /trong tiếng Anh là một nguyên âm ngắn trong tiếng Anh.
- Thì quá khứ hoàn thành: Xem hướng dẫn tại đây
- Thì quá khứ đơn: Xem hướng dẫn tại đây
III. Hướng dẫn giải bài tập
- Men: đàn ông
- Said: nói
- Met: gặp
- Bed: giường
- Pen: bút
- Send: gửi
- Man: đàn ông
- Sad: buồn
- Mat: thảm chùi chân
- Bad: tệ
- Pan: chảo
- Sand: cát
Pratice these sentences:
- 1. The fat man has a red pen
- 2. This handbag will be sent to Helen
- 3. Sam said apples were very expensive then
- 4. There’re then pans on the shelf
- 5. Ben Sat on a bench with a yellow cat
- 6. Ann never gets bad marks in French
Exercise 1: Use the verbs in brackets in the past perfect. (Dùng các động từ trong ngoặc ở thì Quá khứ hoàn thành đơn).
Why did Tom’s mother get angry with him?
Because he had broken her favourite vase
When did you watch TV last night?
When I had done all my homework
Did you first meet them at my last birthday party?
No, I had met them before.
Why did she return home?
She suddenly remembered she had’t turned off the gas stove
How did they like our city?
They said that was the loveliest city they had ever seen
- 6. It rained yesterday after it had been dry for months
- 7. By the time he arrived, all his classmates had left.
- 8. We didn’t have their phone number because they had moved to the South.
- 9. When they met again, they had not seen each other for 10 years.
- 10. When I came, the room was in a terrible mess because someone had broken in.
Exercise 2: Put the verbs in brackets in the simple past or the past perfect. (Viết động từ trong ngoặc ớ thì Quá khứ đơn hoặc thì Quá khứ hoàn thành.)
- 1. We had just finished dinner when they came
- 2. He had seldom travelled by bicycle before he went to Vietnam.
- 3. Ann went to get the carpet for the room but someone already had taken.
- 4. Did you manage to see the Director, or he went out by the time you got there.
- 5. He had just got home when you phoned. He was in New York.
Exercise 3. There are five mistakes in the use of tenses in the following story. Find and correct them.
(Có 5 lỗi về cách dùng các thì trong câu chuyện sau. Tìm và sửa chúng.)
While George was reading in bed, two thieves had climbed -> climbed into his kitchen. When they had entered the house, they went into the dinning room. It was very dark, so they had turned -> turned on a torch. Suddenly, they heard a voice behind them.
"What's up? What's up?" a voice had called out -> called out. The thieves dropped the torch and ran away as quickly as they could.
George had heard -> heard a noise and came downstairs quickly. He turned on the light but he couldn't see anybody. The thieves already went -> had already gone. But George's parrot, Henry, was still there.