Reading Unit 3: People's background Tiểu sử của mọi người
Bài viết hướng dẫn cách học và cách giải bài tập của phần reading về chủ đề tiểu sử của mọi người, một chủ điểm rất đáng quan tâm trong chương trình tiếng Anh 10. Hãy cùng điểm qua các từ vựng, cấu trúc cần nhớ và tham khảo gợi ý giải bài tập dưới đây.
Bài reading Unit 3: People's background
I. Từ vựng
- Training(n) ['treiniη] đào tạo
- General education: ['dʒenərəl ,edju:'kei∫n] giáo dục phổ thông
- Strong-willed(a) ['strɔη'wild]: ý chí mạnh mẽ
- Ambitious(a) [æm'bi∫əs] khát vọng lớn
- Intelligent(a) [in'telidʒənt]:thông minh
- Brilliant(a): ['briljənt] sáng láng
- Humane(a) [hju:'mein]: nhân đạo
II. Cấu trúc cần lưu ý
- To be awarded: [ə,wɔ:'did:]được trao giải
III. Hướng dẫn giải bài tập
1. Before you read:
Work in pairs. Ask and answer the questions.(Làm việc từng đôi. Hỏi và trả lời các câu hỏi.)
- 1. Can you name some scientists and their specialization?
I know four scientists: Louis Pasleur, Michael Faraday, Gregor Johann Mendel, and Alexander Fleming.
Louis Pasteur (1822-1895) was a world famous French chemist and biologist.
Michacl Faraday (1791-1867) was an English chemist and physicist.
Gregor Johann Mendel( 1822-1884) an Austrian botanisl, known as “the Father of Genetics".
Alexander Fleming (1881-1955) was an English bacteriologist (nhà vi khuẩn học).
- 2. Have you ever heard of Marie Curie?
Yes. I’ve read some books about her.
- 3. What do you know about her?
Marie Curie was born in Warsaw. Poland, in 1867. In 1891, she came to Paris and studied at the Sorbonne. a world famous university in Paris at that time. She married Pierre Curie in 1895. In 1903, Marie received a Ph.D at Sorbonne and she was the first woman professor at the Sorbonne after her husband's, death. She was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry. She died in 1934.
2. While you read.
Read the passage, and then do the tasks that follow. (Đọc đoạn văn, sau đỏ làm bài tập tiếp theo.)
Dưới đây là nội dung bài đọc:
Marie Curie was born in Warsaw on November 7th, 1867. She received general education in local school and some scientific training from her father.
As a brilliant and mature student, Marie harboured the dream of a scientific career, which was impossible for a woman at that time. To save money for a study tour aboard she had to work at a private tutor, and her studies were interrupted.
Finally in 1891, Marie, with very little money to live on, went to Paris to realise her dream at Sorbonne. In spite of her difficult living conditions, she worked extrmely hard. She earned Physics with flying colours and went on to take another degree in Mathematics. She met Pierre Currie in the School of Physics in 1894 and a year later they got married. Form then on, they work together on their research. In 1903, Marie became the first woman to receive a PhD from the Sorbonne. After the tragic death of Pierre Curie in 1906, she took up the position which her husband had obtained at the Sorbonne. Thus, she was the first woman in France to be a university professor. Soon after, she was awarded a Nobel Prize in Chemistry for determining the atomic weight of radium. But her real joy was “easing human suffering”. The founding of the Radium Institude in 1914 made her humanitarian wish come true.
Task 1: Match the words or phrases in A with iheir meanings in B. (Ghép những từ hay cụm từ ở A với nghĩa của chúng ở B.)
1. with flying colour
a. having a fully developed mind
b. keep in their mind
c.very well, with a very high mark/grade
d. make less severe
d. find out exactly by making calculations
Task 2: Decide whether the statements are true (T) or false (F). Correct the false information. (Xác định những câu nói này đúng (T) hay sai (F). Điều chinh những thông tin sai).
1. Marie went to school in Warsaw (Marie học ở trường tại Warsaw)
2. Her dream was to become a private tutor (Ước mơ của cô ấy là trở thành gia sư)
3. At the Sorbonne, she studied very well (Ở trường Sorbonne, bà học rất giỏi)
4. She married Piere Curie in 1894 (Bà cưới Piere Curie năm 1894)
5.She was the first woman professor at the Sorbonne (Bà là giảng viên đại học nữ đầu tiên ở Sorbonne)
Task 3: Answer the questions. (Trả lời các câu hỏi).
- 1.When and where was Marie Curie born?
Marie Curie was born in Warsaw, Poland, in 1867.
- 2.What kind of student was she?
She was a brilliant and mature student.
- 3.Why did she work as a private tutor?
She worked as a private tulor to cam money for her studv lour abroad.
- 4. For what service was she awarded a Nobel Prize in Chemistry?
She was awarded a Nobel Prize in Chemistry for determining ihe atomic weight of radium.
- 5.Was the prize her real joy? Why/why not?
No. it wasn’t. Her real joy was “easing human suffering”.
3. After you read:
Work in groups. Below are five adjectives we may use to describe Marie Curie. Find the evidence from the passage to prove each of them.
(Làm việc theo nhóm. Dưới đây là năm tính từ chúng ta cỏ thể dùng để mô tả Marie Curie. Tìm những chứng cứ từ đoạn văn để chứng minh từng từ trong chúng.)
- Strong-willed: With a little money to live on, Marie Curie came to Paris to realize her dream. In spite of her difficult living conditions, she worked extremely hard.
- Ambitious: Marie harboured the dream of a scientific career which was impossible for a woman at that time.
- Hard-working: In spite of her difficult living conditions, she worked extremely hard; to save money for a study tour abroad, she worked as a private tutor; she earned a Physics degree... and went on to take another degree in Mathematics
- Intelligent: As a brilliant and mature student; she earned a Physics degree with Hying colours: the first woman to receive a Ph D from the Sorbonne: the first woman university professor in France; awarded a Nobel Prize in Chemistry Humane, her real joy was “casing human suffering”.